Friday, December 19, 2008

There once was a teeny turtle..

There once was a teeny turtle... wait!! I can hear you now, 'a teeny turtle? Whats that suppose to be?' They say if a child learns something the right way it will stick with them for the rest of their life! When I was younger I used to watch a Bible program that came on TV. This particular show always started with a song...'there once was a teeny turtle, immortal, invisible' (or so I thought :) It has stuck with me since, but I have never been able to remember the rest of the words. About a year ago, one of those moments came to me and I broke out in this song. My friend Rachel was standing there with a strange look on her face (how many 24 year olds go around singing about a teeny turtle) and she asked me to sing it again. My face was *slightly* red when I realized I had broke forth in song about this turtle! But here I went again and as I finished my spectacular performance I looked over to see Rachel doubled-over with laughter. After she regained her composure she asked where I had learned the song. So I explained and told her I never understood why they were singing 'there once was a teeny turtle, immortal, invisible' on a Bible program, but the song stuck with me and I had been singing that glorious refrain of eight words since then. She looked at me and just started laughing even harder! Then said very slowly and emphatically "there once was a King Eternal, Immortal, Invisible. God only wise." Now my face was *really* red! All these years I had been singing about this 'teeny turtle' when it really was 'King Eternal.' No wonder this 'teeny turtle' didn't make sense. How embarrasing! But, to this day I still break forth in song about that 'teeny turtle' just for laughs!

0 comments: